Everything you need to know about the Cat-Eye Effect
One of the latest trends in the nail/beauty world is the Cat-Eye! This out-of-this-world effect has taken the world by storm, especially on Instagram. Want to know more about what the Cat-Eye effect is and how to create it? Read all latest insights here!
Written by Lize Olaerts
What is Cat-Eye?
The Cat-Eye style features a swirling pattern that closely resembles the look of a cat's eye. This distinctive design can be easily achieved by applying a magnetic gel polish infused with metallic particles. As the magnet interacts with the gel polish, it creates the captivating swirling pattern reminiscent of a cat's eye.
How to create a Cat-Eye?
- Always wash your hands before you start and prepare your nails with a mini manicure.
- Take a PN Cleanser Wipe or PN Cleanser Liquid and Nail Wipe to carefully clean all nails.
- Apply a small amount of PN Selfgel Prepper to all nails. Press the liquid into the nail with the application brush. Let this dry for a few seconds. There is no need to cure it under the Selfgel LED lamp.
- Apply 1 layer of PN Selfgel Peelable Base or PN Selfgel Soakable Base on all nails. Let the peelable base air dry for 30 seconds or the soakable base cure for 30 seconds under the LED lamp.
- Apply one layer of Selfgel colour as base and cure it. TIP: Use a dark colour as a base to really bring out the Cat-Eye effect. Apply a layer of the cat eye gel and use the magnet to create your desired look.
OR don’t use a base colour and apply immediately one layer of cat eye gel. Use the magnet to create your desired look and cure it for 30 seconds under the LED lamp. Apply a second layer to reinforce the look.
- The magnet has 2 sides (round and rectangular). Achieve different effects by using the different sides of the magnet. The lines can be either straight or curved, depending on how you use the magnet. Try to play with this and find out how you want the effect.
- Then protect the colour with the PN Selfgel Finish and cure for 30 seconds under the Selfgel LED lamp.
- Remove the sticky layer with a PN Cleanser Wipe or PN Cleanser Liquid and Nail Wipe.
How to combine?
For optimal results, choose a darker base colour to enhance the intensity of the Cat-Eye effect. Selfgel 26 Little Black Dress or Selfgel 37 Starry Night are the recommended colours to showcase the desired effect. If you feel like making your nails even more special, you can use the Selfgel 56 Shocking Pink and Selfgel 57 Lavender Haze on your middle finger or ring finger to create a shocking effect. These colours will also fit perfectly with the darker colours on the other fingers!
You can find all the products here:
- PN Selfgel Cat Eye Cosmic Pink 6 ml + Magnet
- PN Selfgel 17 Ruby Red
- PN Selfgel 37 Starry Night
- PN Selfgel 57 Lavender Haze
- PN Selfgel 56 Shocking Pink
Here is some more inspiration ...
Are you still curious how to make your cat-eye out of this world? Here is some inspiration for you! From the celebs themselves!